World Antimicrobial Awareness Week
November 18 to 24 was the World Antimicrobial Awareness Week, an annual worldwide event that aims to increase awareness of antimicrobial resistance and to encourage best practices to avoid the further emergence and spread of drug resistant infections.
Best estimates from the WHO indicate that currently, approximately 700,000 deaths per year worldwide are a result of antimicrobial resistance. The WHO forecasts suggest that by 2050, that number could grow to 10 millions deaths per year.
The problem of Antimicrobial Resistance is often compared with climate change in that it is not an issue that can be solved locally. A global approach is required. This global approach must consider animals as well as humans, in fact, the most common use of antibiotics is in animal farming. This practice can create antibiotic resistance that can effect human beings.
- What can we do to help?
1.Please use the antibiotics as prescribed – finish the full course as per your prescription.
- 2.Please note that antibiotic treatment cannot be prescribed without an examination of the condition first, they can’t be prescribed routinely “same as last time” – we should be treating the cause of the problem and antibiotics are not the solution.
- 3. If the antibiotic treatment is prescribed and the pain and infection symptoms subside, make sure you go back for the treatment to cure the cause of the issue.
- 4. If you had joint prostheses there is no need for antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental treatment. There are no pre-established conditions that make a patient more susceptible to joint infection after a dental treatment.
- 5. Support your local farmers that do not use antibiotics when raising animals!
I hope you found this useful.
Previous Dental Coaching Articles
- Christmas Gift Ideas (Electric Toothbrush)
- Dental Implants To Replace Missing Teeth
- 5 Things We Wish Patients Had Listened To
- Facts About Sports Mouthgaurds
- Perio Protect
- Stress Related Mouth Conditions
- Dental X-Rays
- 6 Ways To Make Your Smile More Attractive
- Shifting Teeth
- Childrens Dental Health
- Age Oral Health
- Dental Emergencies
- World Antimicrobial Week
- Dental Coaching
- Gum Disease
- Tooth Decay & Sports Drinks
- 7 Facts On Tooth Whitening
- Alergies & Dental Health
- Sleep Apnea
- What Goes On In The Mouth (Cont.)
- Tips About Clear Aligners
- Cavity Prevention
Book An Appointment